Off Shore Accidents


The Schmidt Law Firm represents workers in the marine and offshore drilling industry in the area of personal injury litigation. George Schmidt is well versed in the area of personal injury and maritime law in the region, having tried and settled cases for offshore oilfield workers in federal courts in Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Mr. Schmidt’s success at maximizing the recovery for his clients is characterized by his integrity, professionalism, attention to detail, intensity and being a zealous advocate for his clients. If you or someone you know have been injured in a maritime of oilfield accident, call us today for a free consultation.


The laws are different regarding injuries that occur on a vessel or offshore. There are a number of laws that cover offshore or other maritime workers. These are your rights from the biggest ones.
The Jones Act
The Jones Act covers employees of U.S. ships who have suffered personal injury, illness or death during the course of his or her employment. The Act allows injured employees to seek damages or compensation in a trial by jury. It primarily protects employees who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, but may protect others under certain circumstances. 

Non-U.S. employees may recover under the Jones Act if he or she was injured while working on a U.S. ship, in U.S. waters, if the ship was constructed to transport cargo, and was in fact transporting cargo. Even if the seaman was found to have contributory negligence, it will not bar a claim. Many different types of oil drilling rigs are classified as vessels or ships under the Jones Act, to include jack-up rigs and inland barges.
You can sue for unseaworthiness for such injuries as pain and suffering, impairment of earning potential, medical bills and other reasonable losses from an offshore injury.
Maintenance and Cure
You can sue under maintenance and cure if you can prove that your injury occurred during the course of your employment.
Death on the High Seas Act
Families of seamen or offshore workers who have died due to negligence while in international waters can file a claim for recovery against the ship’s owner. A finding of contributory negligence will not bar a claim.

What do you do in the event of an accident or injury?

If you or someone you know has been injured offshore, the first step to take is to immediately seek professional legal representation. The company you work for will hire investigators and a legal team to investigate you and your injury to prove you were at fault. Before you speak with anyone else, you need to talk to a qualified attorney with experience in Maritime and Admiralty Law. At Schmidt Law Firm, PLLC, we will help you recover the compensation you deserve and get you the money to cover your medical expenses and lost wages. We can help you build a solid case, backed by years of experience and knowledge of offshore and maritime law. CALL now for a free consultation to see if you are entitled to make a claim.
Contact Schmidt Law Firm to get your voice heard.
Call us at 601-545-2525 to set up a free case evaluation.
Content, including images, displayed on this website is protected by copyright laws. Downloading, republication, retransmission or reproduction of content on this website is strictly prohibited.

301 W Pine Street
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Hours of Operation:

Mon-Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sat-Sun Closed

Serving Mississippi & Greater Pine Belt including but not limited to:
  • Wiggins
  • Laurel
  • Richton
  • Lucedale
  • Leaksville
  • Magee
  • Oxford
  • Purvis
  • Mendenhall
  • Collins
  • Columbia
  • Petal
  • Hattiesburg
© 2010-2024 All Rights Reserved
Site Designed By S3 Media Group
Top chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram